Thursday, May 15, 2014

Review: Aveeno Cream for eczema

This is a review for the basic Aveeno Cream: Moisturising Cream.

Aveeno Cream with Love Hearts

I've been using Aveeno for about three years. When I first got it prescribed by my GP, the pharmacist who handed it to me nodded knowingly and said 'this is a very good cream'. The pharmacist was spot on, from the first time I used it I noticed a massive change from moisturises I'd used before (such as Doublebase, aqueous creams, gels and ointments from the doctor).  Creams made mainly from petroleum sometimes feel thick on the skin, but I don't feel like they help the healing process once skin has broken, whereas Aveeno is very soothing, never stings and softens the skin to help the healing process.

Aveeno is made with 'Colloidal Oatmeal'. Oats are traditionally used to combat dry skin, for example in several 'home-made' face mask recipes I used to find in Girl Talk and Sabrina's Secrets (hollaaaaa!). I love oats, I eat porridge every morning and then  smother myself in Aveeno so I am oaty out and in. When I first put it on, it was how I imagine swimming in a sea made of honey and milk would feel like: cooling, calming and silky. Its hard now to remember life before Aveeno, but I know that a week into use I remember thinking "this cream is going to change my life."My most basic skin routine is Aveeno and Hydrocotizone for flare-ups.

I'm basically Aveeno's biggest UK-based fan as I've been using it for three years now, and I recommend it to anyone who has eczema. I think its espcially good for hand and neck eczema that can be easily irratated (by scarves on hand wash) because it is so soothing. People rarely see me without a bottle of it in my hands. In many ways, Aveeno should employ me for being such an advocate.

Aveeno on my face
For the face, some people find it too thick. Its certainly not designed as a face cream but any eczema babe/badboy will know that face creams rarely cut it when your face flares up like the flaky red balloon. I have combination skin on my face: half really unnecessarily dry, and the other half prone to blocked pores and spots. I use Aveeno on my face about four times a day and it can cause build up on the non-dry sections of my face. It doesn't make me radiant but for me it doesn't cause break outs. We all have to compromise sometimes, you know?

Here are some artist's impressions of my face:

Pink are the non-dry areas prone to blocked pores. Red are the dry areas prone to eczema. Isn't it weird how I get eczema on that one side of my forehead? 

This is me once the Aveeno has been applied. It smooths over everything (even my eyebrows!!!!) and although it causes some blocked pores the eczema is quite smoothed.

My critiques would be that although it is a highly moisturising cream, it isn't as thick as a balm or butter, which means its not good for focussing on specific dry patches as it kind of spreads everywhere. Personally, having used it constantly for the past three years I'm now trying to find an alternative, as some people think its good to change up your skincare routine now and again to keep the eczema on its toes. However if you haven't tried it yet I'd really, really recommend.

Aveeno is expensive, its currently £8.93 at Boots but usually aroung £13 for 300ml. However it is available on the NHS, so if you are diagnosed with eczema by your GP you can get it prescribed to you. If you have to pay for prescriptions, make sure to ask for a large quantity as this will save mega $$$!

Do you use Aveeno? Do you have any recommendations for the next moisturise to try as I alter my skin regime?

Love from Saz xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment