Thursday, May 8, 2014

Eczema for Beginners: What to wear

I'm going to start my blog with some advice for people who've just been diagnosed with eczema, or maybe you haven't had it in a while and you've forgotten how to deal with it.

One of the oft-cited pieces of advice to people with eczema is 'wear cotton :)'. When I moved to uni, I went to a new doctor for help with a sudden flare up. Her tip was to wear more cotton clothes. This is a bit of a no-brainer if, like me, you've had eczema your whole life. But sometimes the idea of wearing a top - to - toe totally organic cotton hyper-sensitive breathable body suit just isn't what you'd had in mind for the day ahead. Clothing can help to control eczema though, here's some TIPS!!!

Leg Eczema

A dear, beautiful mate of mine had a bit of eczema on her legs during winter. I was FLABBERGASTED to discover she was wearing tights to work! Tights are so bad for eczema that when I was 12 my GP wrote a sick note to my school that said despite the uniform regulations I had to wear trousers, not a skirt and tights. They make you sweaty and don't let the skin breathe and TRUST MEH when I say, if you stop wearing them you'll notice a difference.
For work I wear some soft, cotton trousers (or even soft polycotton/nylon is better than tights) and some funky socks. A cigarette trouser shape is flattering and breathable, my housemate recommends Matalan for workwear and their trousers are great and cheap. For winter, and for casual occasion, embrace corduroy. You won't regret it.
When I want to wear a skirt/dress, leggings are a reasonable compromise as they let the skin breathe more. They don't look as sassy, but if anyone is mean to you, gently remind them you have a Medical Condition.
If its summer, go tights-free and feel that beautiful fresh feeling of a summer breeze streaming up your skirt!! Refreshing! Alternatively I like those nice, patterned roomy trousers they have around these days.
I leave tights for Very Special Occasions or I try to wear those cotton rich ones.

Neck eczema


Sue Perkins styles out a shirt and jumper and sniffs a cake like an absolute pro.

This is mainly a winter-based problem. Woolly jumpers and woolly scarves may look quirky or chic but after about ten minutes I end up ripping them off with as much enthusiasm as if they had spontaneously combusted. Paschmina scarves are soft and gentle, with not irritating fibres, or try and find a cotton knitted scarf or a woven one. It takes some searching but actually you can get some pretty nice scarves that aren't too itchy. Sequins are a pain in the ass though, and I find if you wear a scarf for too long you get hot and itchy.
I like woolly jumpers, I like to wear a nice crisp shirt underneath to protect my neck and arms! Not only do you get to look like STYLE ICON Sue Perkins, but it also prevents.....

Elbow Eczema

Soft flannel shirts are a good way to cover up and protect elbow eczema, I also like long sleeved jersey tops or roomy cotton cardigans that let the skin breath.
If you can't find cotton in the shops, try charity shops or vintage stores because old ladies love cotton and you can also get some wild fabric patterns.

Hand Eczema

Eczema on your hands is massively normal, because your hands are always out and about and getting into contact with hand wash and too-hot-hand-driers. When its nippy out (if you live in Manchester this means any time between September and June) then wear gloves. Nice gloves, if you want, or those cheap ones from Primark that cost £1.50 for two colours. Also wear gloves (different kind of gloves) when you do the washing up.

Eczema in your secret private areas

They are some itches you CAN'T scratch without removing yourself from social situations into the privacy of a toilet cubicle/bedroom/behind a bookshelf. If its possible for you, ditch the bra as OFTEN as possible. This is great because not only are you protecting your eczema you're also making a small contribution to female emancipation. If that concept is too daunting, try some non-padded, cotton bras or crop tops. You can wear a crop top without looking like a pre-teen. See: Urban Outfitters:
Urban Outfitters silk bra, £20
I appreciate that's not a particularly viable option if you don't have tiny breasts.
If you get itchy DOWN THERE may I make the unprecedented suggestion that, if you can't find cotton knickers, go for the SMALLEST knickers you can find. Extra breathing room! Yuhuuuu!

Going out on the town

I have a lovely dress,covered in daisies, that is made of jersey and has mid-length sleeves. Its cheeky, because its low cut, but it covers up my elbow and back eczema and is a fail-safe option that makes me feel very confident.

However, don't feel you have to hide your eczema. You spend the best part of your morning moisturising, choosing from your complicated array of ridiculously priced ointments and organic, home-grown solid shampoos only to spend the next 12 hours painfully resisting scratching your already scabby elbows, or knees, you can't use self-tan and you can't grow your nails because when they're too long they become violent weapons of self-destruction. You eczema is a part of you so don't hide it away! If you want to wear a backless crop top and hot pants then do it. If anybody cares they do not matter. Its just a bit of dry, red skin!

Love, Saz.

No comments:

Post a Comment